Video gaming has come a long way since the early days of Pong and Pac-man. We can now play affordable games of high caliber with 3D graphics and awesome interactivity in the comfort of our home, taking for granted the little and subtle improvements made to each and every consoles before becoming what they are today. In a way, the aggressive competition between companies of video game consoles had churned out the superior features of video gaming to bring to us the excellent quality we see today.
Video game consoles have gone very far in terms of configuration, looks, and handiness since its evolution. From Pre consoles development era when first computer game was introduced in1952; we have now reached to XBOX, PS4 etc. In the present day, we have a Play Station 4, the latest of all the gaming consoles. PS4 was introduced on Nov. 15, 2014. It’s almost 61 years and we are going to have more innovative consoles in near future.
- In 1889, Nintendo was born.
They only made playing cards at the time, though.
2. In 1964, the first ‘programming language’ was created by John Kemeny and Thomas E. Kurtz.
Made in Dartmouth College in New Hampshire, the Beginner’s All-Purpose Symbolic Instruction Code was designed to make basic computer programs, including games.
3. In 1972, Atari creates Pong.
Now, we all know that game, don’t we?
4. In 1978, Space Invaders is released.
It became well know even outside its home country of Japan. Some arcades open just so teenagers can play the game.
5. In 1980, Pac-Man arrives.
Arguably the most popular game in history, 100,000 arcade units and generates $1 billion in revenue (in quarters, if I may add) in its first 15 months is nothing to laugh at. This also paves the way for Nintendo’s Donkey Kong to get released a year later.
6.In 1984, Tetris is created, but not sold.
Originally created by Russian Alexey Pajitnov, it was eventually sold to Nintendo who produced it and sold more than 35 million copies on their Game Boy 5 years later.
7. In 1985, NES debuts. The Nintendo Entertainment System, or NES for short, has better graphics and processing power that all of its predecessors, it goes on to become the best selling console of its time.
8. In 1989, the Game Boy is born. Along with it, the portable gaming industry. Nintendo alone has sold more than 400 million of these bad boys.
9. In 1993, there was Doom. It shoots FPS games into the mainstream limelight. Also, the Entertainment Software Ratings Board was created to provide video game ratings due to the introduction of quite violent games like Mortal Combat.
10. In 1994, Warcraft came into the picture.
Blizzard creates a hit game that becomes one of the most popular PC game franchises to date. (Yes, they made WoW)
11. In 1995, Sony Playstation makes Sega go bankrupt.
Selling for $100 less than it’s Sega counterpart (Sega Saturn), The PlayStation eventually sells more units than the Saturn. Most Playstation games are 3-D and because they’re disk-based, they’re cheaper to produce and therefore more affordable.
12. In 1996, Nintendo’s Pokemon introduces a whole new world to us.
These colorful and cute creatures called Pocket Monsters (Pokemon for short) release in Japan, and in a couple of years, also internationally. They are one of the most successful game franchises on all platforms of all time. There are even movies and series that spawned off this giant franchise.
13. In 2000, Playsation 2 arrives.
They made waves 5 years ago, and showed no signs of slowing down. At 128 bits, it has better graphics than a computer of that time, as well as DVD technology. Grand Theft Auto becomes a massive hit.
14. In 2001, Bill Gates’ company goes live with their Xbox.
An Ethernet port, an 8 GB hard drive, the ability to play DVDs, the ability to play with you to compete with other people around the globe, along with their popular flagship game Halo, they are able to compete with Sony.
15.In 2005, The Xbox 360 picks up where the Xbox left off. They become so popular that it ends up selling more games than the Sony PS3 and Nintendo Wii put together, who released their consoles the following year.
16. In 2008, Apple’s App Store opens.
This also opens the way for mobile games to become a huge hit, such as Clash of Clans and Pokemon GO.
17. In 2009, Riot Games makes their only game, League of Legends.
It goes on to become the most played game of all time, and it still is until today. Competitive gaming is born, and people start to view playing video games at an elite level a profession.
18. In 2011, Mojang creates Minecraft. Agame that has no specific goals for the player to accomplish, allowing players a great amount of freedom in choosing how to play the game, leading to various creative works done in-game.
19. In 2013, Xbox One (it’s the third Xbox) and the PS4 arrive. Xbox One comes with cloud integration and ability to overlay live TV. The console also has voice integration now. PS4, on the other hand, emphasizes on social game-play using a new share button and a second-screen. The PS4 is the better-selling console of the two.
20. In 2014, the Oculus Rift and Virtual Reality.
Mark Zuckerberg and the rest of the Facebook team purchase Oculus VR, the company that makes Oculus Rift, which is expected to be the future of gaming by making experiences more immersive.
PlayStation 5 console to rival Microsoft’s Xbox One X or Nintendo’s resurgence with the Nintendo Switch has been announced, All our hopes, desires and dreams for Sony’s fifth major home video game console.
Welcome to the future. Did We miss anything important?
More from Gadgets
Mara is set to release the Mara X for the African market in the second quarter of 2018. The Mara …
If you’re confused by the avalanche of early reports, denials, and conflicting statements about the massive security issues announced today, …
This is a too-late move by two companies each suffering under the costs of strategic blunders. The only group likely …